Our People and Our Programs
CLAIMING OUR ASSETS - OUR PEOPLE AND OUR PROGRAMS
The congregation of Baldwin Community grew out of a church school class composed of eight children in the home of Mrs. Frank R. Garman on Baptist Road. The original founders of the Church school and the leaders in the development of the Church were Mrs. Frank R. Garman and Mrs. Frank B. Madden. In order to accommodate a Church and Church school, the program was moved to the Union School in 1945 under the guidance of Dr. Thomas R. Courtice, first Pastor of the congregation. In 1946 the Church was organized with a charter membership of eighty-five members under the leadership of Dr. David Jones Wynne. The first unit of the Church building was constructed in June, 1948, which housed the Church and a social hall. A second building including classrooms for education purposes was constructed in 1952. A new Sanctuary and social hall was added in 1956. A completed education wing was dedicated in December, 1960. The congregation has been built on a basis of a community Church serving many of the civic and social community groups. Once fully organized as a Methodist Church and from its inception, the church has been a member of the Pittsburgh Annual Conference and later the Western Pennsylvania Conference of The United Methodist Church.
From this strong beginning, we claim, at minimum, these strengths moving forward:
Loyal Parishioners Volunteers
Building Location Utilized Building
Sanctuary Community Presence/Service
Variety of ages; diversity
Mission Groups & Projects
Pre-School Music Worship Service Options
Strong Sense of History Small groups-a strength
From 1946 until now, we the people and our activities are our greatest strength.